Thursday 21 March 2013

How to Cut Glass and Make a Beautiful Piece of Art

When I began doing mosaic art I utilized pieces of glass that are already cut. I believed that this was the way to do it. I couldn’t cut glass, or could I? It turned out I was mistaken. I could cut the glass and it was not that difficult. I learned this while taking a mosaic workshop class. This allowed me the opportunity to try glass cutting before purchasing any equipment. I immediately became confident and purchased some simple tools. You can cut it as well and I am going to show you how.

Here is a list of items that you will need for this exercise:
Pencil grip glass cutter ($15-$20 I use Studio Pro self lubricating make sure to get oil. You can use sewing machine oil, 3-in-1 oil, lamp oil or kerosene.)
Plastic running pliers ($7-$10 I like Leponitt plastic running pliers 1″ jaw)
Plastic L-square – 300MM ($12-$17 plastic won’t scratch glass. This is big enough for cutting pieces of glass for mosaic.)
Stained glass 2″ X 2″ squares ($10-30 depending on size and amount. The size is a recommendation for this glass cutting tutorial. You are more than welcome to go bigger.)
Safety goggles ($2-$12 depending on brand and style. Uvex S39610C Stealth Safety Goggles are very “cool”. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS WHERE SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN CUTTING GLASS!)
Protective gloves ($5-$15 I actually use gardening gloves)
Now that you are all prepared we can get started:
Oil is needed to lubricate the wheel of any glass cutter. It keeps the wheel of your glass cutter turning smoothly. It also keeps them free of tiny glass chips that can get stuck between the wheel and the shaft. It is needed to keep the score clean and cool. It can help avoid small chips of glass from flying out. The oil helps to preserve the life of the wheel. To fill your glass cutter with oil, unscrew the cap on the end of the cutter and remove it. Fill the barrel with oil to about 1/3 to 2/3 full and replace the cap. When you use the pencil grip glass cutter you want to start by marking the glass for cutting (a pencil, thin marker, or anything that isn’t permanent). You only need a small mark on the edge where you will start your cut. Then place it (marked side up) on a solid surface. Place the L-square on the glass and line the outside straight edge up with your cut mark. There is a lip at the bottom of the L-square that you should have pressed firmly against the flat side of the glass that is closest to you. If you are going to be cutting with your right hand then you should be looking at a backwards L with the right straight vertical side positioned at the line that you are going to cut. Once you are positioned you can turn the valve on your pencil glass cutter to allow the oil to flow over the wheel. This may be as small as a 1/2 to 1 whole turn. Different cutters seem to vary so this might be something you need to test for a while. Use the cutter to make a nick on the mark which should be on the side closest to you. Start here while pressing firmly down slide the cutter along the straight edge moving away from you. Keep your movement and pressure constant and fluid. At this point you should have a nice straight score. This should be complete from one edge to the other. Now hold the larger side of the score firmly in your hand (I would use my left hand because I am right handed). Next take the plastic pliers with your free hand (my right). Use them to firmly grip the smaller side of the score. Make sure the inside edge of the pliers is lined up with the score. Now twist the pliers as to fold the glass along the score. You want to do this with the score being on the outside of the fold. When you get comfortable with this technique you can trace circles or make any mark on the glass. This will allow you to score curved lines free hand without the L-square.
See, that it wasn’t that difficult. Now some final words for my fellow glass cutters:
When cutting glass you always want to be very careful. It is best to have a designated, uncluttered workspace. After each project, be sure to clean up thoroughly. I recommend wiping everything down with a damp disposable rag. This will help to get any glass slivers that have been left behind. Always keep in mind that practice makes perfect. And if you are using the already cut glass for making mosaic art none of the practice pieces will go to waste.
I am an aspiring mosaic artist. I am the author of the blog “Mosaic Ideas”. I study mosaic art making at the “Mosaics by Christine” workshop.

No comments: